The Historic Madge House

The Madge House

In September of 2011 Steve and his staff moved the practice into the historic Madge House at 206 Aylmer Street North in the City of Peterborough.

Robert P. Madge was a retired English lieutenant of the Royal Navy who settled originally on Sandy Lake in Harvey Township in approximately 1832. Madge, along with several other naval officers and veterans of the Napoleonic Wars received Crown land grants in the Township of Harvey as rewards for their services.

The Madge House

The Madge House is one of the oldest houses in the City of Peterborough and is a dwelling with considerable heritage importance. Huge hand hewn timbers were used in the construction of the house which originally comprised the large square front section. It is very large for a frame house of the 1830s. It has been the home of Lieutenant Robert P. Madge, a Magistrate and member of the County Courthouse Building Committee of 1838, and of Ivan O’Beirne, a prominent Peterborough lawyer who was married to the daughter of Douro Township pioneer Robert Reid, and James R. Stratton, a former owner and publisher of The Peterborough Examiner.

The Madge House

The Madge House appeared on the assessment rolls in 1838 as a two-storey frame house with one additional fireplace. Robert P. Madge was listed as both the owner and occupant.

The Madge House was originally covered with rough cast plaster. The side windows were French doors opening onto upper and lower verandas, which encircled the house on three sides.

A great deal of renovation was required to turn the building into an office. We were fortunate to have worked with a number of experienced and committed contractors and others who contributed to the renovations of the Madge House and the move of the practice:

We would like to also acknowledge the contributions of Martha Ann Kidd, Gina Basciano and Andrew Elliott in researching and writing of the history of the Madge House.

Madge House Photos: